UNTA aims to implement integration and create closer ties in order to improve higher education, training and research in the area of tropical agriculture.
UNTA seeks to assemble leading universities with distinguished features and focus on tropical agriculture. It expects to build a platform of communication and collaboration for members to create closer ties and share knowledge and strategies in order to improve the quality and standard of higher education in the field of tropical agriculture. With the above stated intentions UNTA members agree upon the following goals:
- To reinforce academic and research cooperation and collaboration among universities focused on tropical agricultural and related fields.
- To develop and strengthen the potentials of tropical agriculture to resolve food security, safety, sustainability and related issues.
- To promote faculty and student mobility and exchange among member universities and establish a mutual credit transfer system.
- To work towards developing new opportunities such as joint conferences, dual degrees, and joint degrees, enhancing scientific publication and creating new academic activities.
- To promote agriculture studies to attract high quality incoming students.
- To provide recommendations to policy makers with respect to agriculture related issues.
- Other appropriate activities not mentioned but within the scope of the mission agreed upon by UNTA members.
- The UNTA initiating member universities are: Bogor Agricultural University, Kasetsart University, Maejo University, MingDao University, National Pingtung University of Science and Technology, Thai Nguyen University, University of Brawijaya, Universiti Malaysia Sabah, Universiti Putra Malaysia and Weihenstephan-Triesdorf University of Applied Sciences.
- The UNTA forum will rotate to a different university annually; the host university will be decided two years in advance.
- The permanent office of the secretariat will be established at National Pingtung University of Science and Technology.